Nowadays this research subject aims the construction sector, energy utilities, renewable energies and the integration of advanced solutions based on information and communication technologies. As example of previous jobs carried out so far, which constitutes a clear objective for a sustainable future, are the following:
- Integration of renewable energy systems in existing buildings: the enormous interest for the nearly-zero energy buildings motivates the research on solutions to integrate renewable energy systems in existing buildings (photovoltaic, parabolic trough, biomass and wind energy) swiftly and sustainably. Through the wide experience regarding the design and management of all types of facilities in buildings, CEMOSA has the technical capacity to propose and validate real solutions for this issue.
- Building retrofitting with advanced materials: the latest developments in nanotechnology allow making materials that improves both isolation properties and storing thermal energy (phase change materials) in order to be used later when is necessary. This fact is very valuable for new buildings and those that require retrofitting interventions, since such advanced materials allows improving the energy efficiency and reducing energy demand peaks, what moves the occupants’ comfort to higher levels with less costs.
- Building automation and management systems: the building management systems range solutions to improve the energy efficiency of buildings and allow proposing and evaluating effective energy saving interventions and their sustainability. One of the main motivations in this field is the development and implementation of new algorithms and solutions to predict the energy demand in buildings and optimise the energy consumption of systems.
- BIM-based projects (Building Information Modelling): within the construction industry, the interoperability of the information management becomes a basic requirement throughout the life cycle of buildings, including the design, commissioning and maintenance. The BIM standard guarantees such feature and improve the project management, what facilitates the facility management and the making decision process from a comprehensive point of view that comprises the entire life cycle of buildings. In this field, one of the main research lines is the proposal of methodologies and use of tools based on BIM.
- Technologies for smart grids and smart cities: the energy efficiency in buildings depends on local management and the related energy infrastructures and utilities. The integration strategy in traditional systems requires new solutions to connect final users with distribution system operators in order to pave the way for a most competitive, understandable and attractive electric market for everyone. In this way, the development of new algorithms and mechanisms to involve all the stakeholders is mandatory.